Monday, March 12, 2018

4th Grade Coping- Lesson #3


During this last coping lesson, the kids were asked to look at their attitude and how their thoughts are effecting their actions.  We discussed the glass half full/empty analogy- and how that might cloud your thoughts.
We defined attitude- how you act.  Our thoughts lead to attitudes- your attitude depends on how you see a situation- such as the glass.
I gave 3 examples of attitudes:
*red- "fiery red"- blames everyone else
*blue- "poor little me"- sees things worse than they actually are
*yellow- look for a + and a - in the situation- don't allow negative events to ruin their attitude.

The kids then put on sunglasses and pretended to be these different attitudes, after I gave them a situation.
*example- you're driving and you're late- a car pulls in front of you and goes 35 in a 55.
*red- "hey, what do you think you're doing, I can't believe they gave you a license,  you're making me late..."
*blue- "aww man, this always happens to me, I'm going to be late, my boss is going to be mad, I'm going to lose my job, why even try"
*yellow- "oh no, just when I thought I was going to be on time- I'm only a few minutes late, I'm sure my boss will understand. Tomorrow I will leave 10 minutes earlier."
*other examples we used- strike out and lose the game, your brother gets to go see a movie and doesn't invite you, you study hard but fail a test.

We discussed these attitudes, and decided that yellow is the best to have, but you have to work at it- it doesn't come easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment