Monday, November 27, 2017

5th Grade Decision Making Unit


5th Grade is starting a new unit about decision making.  We start the unit talking about the types of decisions there are to be made.  There are 3 types- I decisions, We decisions and They decisions.  We talk about each of these and I have them give me examples of each.  I decisions are those that they can make on their own.  We decisions are those that they are involved in making.  They decisions are those that others make for us, we do not have a choice in what it is.  We talk about how "they" decisions are harder to accept because someone else is telling us what to do.  We talk about how everyone has "they" decisions they have to accept- kids and adults, and I give examples.  We then turn our discussion about how the decisions they are making right now might effect their ability to make good "I" decisions in the future.  The adults are watching to see if they can handle making good decisions, if so- they are given the opportunity to make more "I" decisions as they get older.  This is a fun discussion for me to watch- the kids start to understand that as they get older, they will get more chances to be more independent, but that all depends on their ability to make good choices now.  We will continue our discussion about decision making next time we get together.

No comments:

Post a Comment